Monte Grimano Terme
Monte Grimano Terme
A spiral of medieval houses. A host of narrow lanes, hidden passages and stone buildings that wind away from the ancient fortress. With a church from 1700, which stands in the middle of the village and houses the most precious treasure: the precious Venetian baroque painting called "Madonna delle Grazie".
Located on the border with the Republic of San Marino, it is on a spur that dominates the valley. Encircled by the recently restored castle walls, the village has a town structure developed according to the typical medieval spiral structure, made of narrow and winding streets dominated by the old civic tower with three bells dating back to the 1400s in the square. The oldest of the three bells dates back to 1611, and here, one can listen to the chimes that mark the time of day.
Palazzo Massajoli, the seat of the Town Hall but once residence of the noble and wealthy family of the Ghibellines from Rimini, and therefore Malatesta's enemy. It is worth mentioning the church of St. Sylvester, which houses the altar paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries, testifies to the fervent religious life of the community, and a walk along the walls of the castle, echoes history.
Monte Grimano's first historical document dates back to 962 when Ottone I of Saxony, named Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, decided to strengthen the alliance with Count Ulderico of Carpegna by giving him some lands in Montefeltro, including Mons Germanus or Grimanus.
The territory between 1400 and 1500 ends up in the hands of the Malatesta family of Rimini and later the Montefeltro family of Urbino, until it was devastated by Sigismondo Malatesta and finally definitively regained by Federico da Montefeltro. it then became part of the Pontifical State together with the Duchy of Urbino in 1631.
Recently it has been associated with the term "Terme", sanctioned by a referendum, to indicate the presence of a modern thermal baths structure built here thanks to the precious sources of alkaline mineral and sulphurous mineral waters emerging from the nearby Monte San Paolo.
Known for its healthy properties since Roman times and documented in the 1500s, the waters of Monte Grimano, immersed in gardens, woods and paths, after centuries of abandonment, were refurbished and turned into a spa in the early 1900s.
The territory of Monte Grimano abounds with vines, olive trees, mulberry trees and acorns. The economy of the area ranges from cereals to cattle breeding. Its cultural liveliness is today witnessed by the rich repertoire of its musical festival that embraces all kinds of music. Music is one of the most sparkling cultural realities of the Conca Valley. Among the events and parties to mark on the calendar are the fairs on Holy Friday, on May 16th and June 29th.